Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"A Visit to the Republican Pig Pens," 1899

My colleague Eileen pointed me to the multimedia histories available at the Ohio State University Department of History. One of the political cartoons there with pigs in it was this one, "A Visit to the Republican Pig Pens," which comes from The Verdict, a pro-Democracy and anti-McKinley paper, on 24 July 1899. Hanna is, of course, Mark Hanna, the Ohio industrialist who managed McKinley's 1896 presidential campaign. I'll leave it up to the rest of you Gilded Age historians to make sense of the rest; after all, I'm really an early 19th century guy...

This will be the last post for about a week, as I'll be traveling to give a paper at the Society for Literature, Science, and the Arts meeting in Portland, Maine. I'm looking forward to some real fall weather, that's for sure...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home