Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Barbeque Oral History Project

While reading the paper at mom's house in Tyrone, Georgia this morning I stumbled upon an article about the wonderful Southern Foodways Alliance, a group dedicated to documenting and celebrating the food cultures of the South. If you happen to be in the ATL on January 6th you should attend their Potlikker Film Festival down at Sweetwater Brewing (makers of my favorite local beer, Sweetwater 420). If you can't make it, though, definitely check out what they've got on their website. My favorite section is the Barbeque Oral History Project, which explores the bbq culture of Memphis and rural Tennessee. As I told my mama this morning, the biggest bummer about being a vegetarian is not being able to eat good pork 'que when I'm home. The photos by Amy Evans and the essays and interviews by Joe York for this project make me miss it even more. And to think I've promised to take friends and colleagues to Daddy D'z, home of the best 'que in Atlanta, in a few weeks during the AHA meeting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home